Monday, August 25, 2008

Por Larranaga 1834 Cabinet Seleccion


I will be reviewing the Por Larranaga Cabinet Seleccion 5 x 54 ring gauge Robusto. The Cabinet Seleccion is a limited addition made by some of the legendary cigar makers like Monticristo, H Upmann, Romeo y Julieta and the one I am smoking. The wrapper is a Habano 2000 and the binder and filler are Nicaraguan.


Appearance: Lighter shade wrapper with some thick veins running through out. It has a white, gold and black band. The whole series has the same color bands. A simple looking band but I like it, it lets the cigar do the talking not the band. There was a soft spot near the bottom bottom of the stick and no blemish.


I pull out my friends V cutter. That was a mistake it hacked up the cap of the cigar. I do not recommend using a V cutter, a punch or guillotine is a much cleaner cut. Back to the cigar and my Vector tizo blow torch. It has a good draw not a great. My initial reaction is mild to medium smooth taste. I like it, no harshness at all. The stick lasted about an hour and it remained smooth through out. This is a keeper.



Review: Por Larranaga 1834 Cabinet Seleccion is a good mild to med smoke. The price point is in the $5.50 to $6.50 price point. I would recommend picking up all the Cabinet Seleccion, I can not wait to review the rest of the series. I have a friend that only smokes cigars when he comes over and I would have no problem giving him this stick. It will not over p0wer a novice smoker. A nice light beer would go well with this stick. Nothing to strong that would over power the cigar. Like I said you need to pick one of each of Cabinet series. I give it a solid 9.1

1 comment:

Happy2bme said...

Did you know that Por Larrañaga was the rarest of the legendary cigars to come out of Menéndez y García, Havana’s most fabled cigar makers?

I don't smoke cigars but I always did like the bubble gum cigars as a kid.